- Why Do I Need a Cover Letter?
- Writing a Cover Letter? Start Here.
- Write a “Why Me” Cover Letter
- One Cover Letter, Two Roles, Same Company?
- Make Your Cover Letter Stand Out
- Avoid These 11 Cover Letter Mistakes
- Final Cover Letter Checklist
Cover letters are an insight into your brand, personality, and fit for a role.
As a co-op student, your resume may not have a specific direction yet. A cover letter is the best way for you to explain to employers why you are a good fit for the role, and why you are interested in the industry. If your undergraduate degree is in science and you have lab experience, why are you now targeting co-op roles in marketing? Your cover letter lets you explain this.
If you are changing careers, a cover letter lets you explain to employers how the skills you have gained in different industries can transfer into your targeted industry.
Not all cover letters will be read, but writing one will give you a 50% chance of standing out.
Reasons employers ask for cover letters:
Writing a cover letter? Start here.